Our developers customise and innovate probing systems from a range of world-leading manufacturers to extend and refine their sensing capabilities.
We offer the following technologies and systems :
- Membrane interface probe (MIP)
- Light-induced fluorescence (LIF)
- Ultraviolet Optical Screening Tool (UVOST®)
- Tar- Green Optical Screening Tool (TarGOST®)
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- Hydraulic profiling tool (HPT)
- Injection logging (IL)
- Slug testing (ST)
- Cone penetration testing (CPT)
- Electrical conductivity (EC)
We deliver accurate subsurface sampling using our large fleet of direct push units, which advance probing rods into the ground by either statically pushing or high-frequency percussion.
Our self-propelled wheeled and crawler machines can operate in almost any surroundings, including confined areas within buildings and difficult off-road conditions, to maximise the accessibility of onsite investigation points. The direct push units have powerful hydraulic hammers and a broad range of capabilities, enabling us to operate in both shallow environments and reach depths up to 50 m.
We use our direct push units for:
- Groundwater sampling
- Liner or soil sampling
- Soil vapour sampling
- Installing groundwater monitoring wells
- Borehole sealing
- Target-oriented, depth-specific injecting or infiltrating of a reagent or substrate for in situ remediation
In Situ remediation
We have extensive experience of providing in situ remediation services under a wide range of conditions, using substrates and reagents from leading manufacturers:
- Biological and chemical remediation
- Oxidative and reductive conditions
- Depth-oriented and integral applications
- Injection over direct push and infiltration over wells
- Water-like and suspension-consistent mixtures
- Low pressure porous and high pressure fracs-enhanced injection
Data management and visualisation
We combine high-resolution direct sensing technologies with target-oriented direct sampling methods to provide a framework for reliable high-resolution 3D site models for lithology, hydraulics and contamination. Our reliable site models lead to successful remediation strategies and land redevelopment scenarios.
For example, we can identify, structure and visualise:
- Lithologic structure of the investigated body (CPT and/or EC data)
- Spatial extension of the contaminant body (MIP, LIF or XRF data)
- Hydraulic structuring of the investigated site (HPT or injection logging data, validated and calibrated through in situ slug tests or mini-pump tests)
Any change-of-land use requires a land contamination assessment to ensure that health and environmental risks to receptors (soil, surface waters and groundwater) comply with regulations. This can give rise to challenges, including:
- Conventional site characterisations based on soil and groundwater sampling may involve significant uncertainties due to insufficient sampling density under limited budgets
- Estimations of contaminant spatial extensions may be highly affected by traditional sampling schemes, which often miss the contaminant bodies
Our highly qualified technical staff have the expertise to deal with projects of any size and complexity across a broad range of industries and land (re)development businesses, including but not limited to oil and gas, chemicals, power, infrastructure, shallow-gas-affected areas, brownfields and landfills.
We can support you with the following applications:
- MIP – detects several volatile organic compounds, including PCE (tetrachloroethene), TCE (trichloroethene) and their biodegradation offspring products, BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene), MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) and other volatile hydrocarbons
- MIP-Hapsite – enables individual compounds (such as PCE and TCE) to be analysed quickly in situ during MIP logging by using a field-portable gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer (GC-MS)
- LIF – measures several types of oil-related free-phase products (NAPL) such as gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, motor oil, hydraulic and cutting fluids, crude oil, coal tar and creosote. A combined use of UVOST and TarGOST enhances the high-resolution technology by enforcing validation and resolution capabilities in terms of contaminants (heavy versus light contaminant classes, different saturation degrees, vertical differentiation of NAPLs).
- HPT – evaluates the subsurface hydraulic properties of a site. The results can be validated and calibrated through target-oriented slug testing or mini pumping tests to deliver absolute values of hydraulic parameters
- XRF – measures heavy metals in soils or sediments at high resolution and in real time. This technology enables contaminants to be screened rapidly and heavy-metal distributions in mine tailings, soils or sediments in rivers, harbours and lakes to be efficiently delineated.
We provide a unique combination of cutting-edge technologies and solutions for site characterisation and remediation to reliably assess the extent and intensity of contamination. The high-resolution characterisation of a site has enormous advantages over conventional strategies, since it provides a cost-effective appraisal of all site-specific features to support decision-makers:
- Significantly lowers client environmental risk on land (re)development projects with our complete solution for site characterisation and remediation
- Dramatically improve overall project cost-efficiency using Fugro’s rapid and effective methods of site characterisation for contamination, hydraulics and lithology
- Reduces HSSE-related issues, as Fugro’s support is based on low-invasive site investigation to minimise both time requirements for fieldwork and HSSE exposure (smaller project footprint means fewer dealings with contaminated soil and groundwater)
- Faster and more reliable decision-making via Fugro’s real-time online detection systems. Client local/intermediate success metrics can be updated on a real-time basis for a continuous monitoring of project return of investment
- Generate added value for the overall project in terms of significant savings enabled for the site remediation based on very limited but focused investments in a reliable high-resolution site model
- Identifies the right remediation and redevelopment strategies for environmental authorities using our advanced data visualisations created from high-definition 3D images, models and augmented and/or virtual reality site tours.