The Fugro Oceanstar® Core System is an attitude and heading calculation engine. It uses data from multiple survey-grade GNSS receivers and a motion sensor to calculate the position, speed and attitude of a vessel. The receivers are typically located fore and aft, and to port and starboard. The Core System uses advanced GNSS calculations to measure the ship’s position, orientation and movement with centimetre-level accuracy. It broadcasts signals that meet the highest standards of reliability, availability and integrity.
Data processing and interfacing are handled by a dedicated computer within the Core cabinet; the cabinet is typically placed in an equipment or instrument room alongside other electronic equipment, to simplify interconnections. A separate touchscreen Core Display computer, located on the bridge, provides intuitive and dedicated graphical views for each navigation function.
The Fugro Oceanstar® Core System offers the following Wheelmark-certified navigation equipment functions, each of which meets the relevant ISO and IEC standards and has a user-friendly Core Display showing calculated values:
- GNSS position - survey-grade GNSS receivers use all available satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou and Galileo) to calculate a composite GNSS position. The Core Display shows latitude, longitude, position quality and other positioning information
- Transmitting heading device - the Core System calculates and outputs a precise GNSS-derived heading
- Rate-of-turn-indicator - the Core System calculates accurate rate-of-turn based on changes in the ship’s heading
- Speed and distance measuring equipment (SDME) - the Core System calculates precise ship speed along longitudinal and transverse axes, and distance travelled
Fugro Oceanstar® offers vessels and captains a navigation system that is easy to use and maintenance-free. It incorporates approved and Wheelmark-certified equipment for the maritime shipping industry which meets the relevant ISO and IEC standards.
- Spoofing detection and redundant positioning – Redundant positioning and spoofing detection are valuable measures against paralysed shipping lanes, collisions and untraceable piracy incidents
- Berthing – The Oceanstar® Berthing system is a decision-making tool that provides important information during this critical operation
- Fuel saving from precise navigation – Precise position and heading allow the autopilot to have better position and rudder control, leading to fewer rudder adjustments, reduced drag and increased sailing distance
- Dynamic trim and draught – Vessel trim and draught are essential parameters to optimise fuel efficiency. Oceanstar® measures dynamic trim and draught (radar option) with centimetre-level accuracy, making it the preferred sensor for fuel management. Oceanstar® data can also be fed to the loading computer to help optimise cargo operations
- Hull bending and twisting – Oceanstar® can model hull deformations through real-time kinematic GNSS measurements. This data is a valuable supplement to conventional strain-based load cells and angle measurements